May 03, 2016

Preposition Proposition: Habitat

Habitat is one key to making a proper identification. If you are in the middle of the woods, it is highly unlikely that you will find Meadowlarks and Bobolinks and in the middle of a grassland a Pileated Woodpecker or Northern Goshawk will only be passing through. Habitat typically only helps to focus attention on likely species, but one trick that those who bird by ear use is to check the habitat when distinguishing between those species whose song is just a trill. If you are at a wetlands, it is likely a Swamp Sparrow, if you are looking at a stand of conifers, it is likely a Pine Warbler, and if it is a suburban lawn, it is likely a Chipping Sparrow.

When I was on sabbatical a few years ago, one of my greatest expectations was seeing species of birds that I had not seen before because I was going to be traveling west to new areas and new habitats. My first stop was Omaha, not quite west, but certainly not east, the very epitome of Midwest. I was so excited about adding to my life list that I took a taxi to a bird walk. When I got into the woods it started to feel familiar, a riparian forest. I knew what to expect in riparian forest habitat in the east, but what would I discover here? What I quickly discovered was that from an avian perspective, I was still in the east. I didn't add a single lifer that trip. In fact, I had to really struggle to find a Western Meadowlark in Omaha, in part because they are so similar to Eastern Meadowlarks, but also because I was still not quite far enough west to be in their normal range. I fixed that with a trip one day to the sand hills of central Nebraska, where I started picking up some species new to me.
 
Later in my trek, when I got to Arizona, the lifers started adding up. This was due in part to the geography and in part to the habitat. I saw hummingbirds, orioles, and woodpeckers just like I do here in the east, but they were Magnificent Humminbirds, Scott's Orioles, and Acorn Woodpeckers. I also saw birds that were unique to the desert habitat like Greater Roadrunners, Cactus Wrens, and Elegant Trogons.

Knowing your place is a vital practice if you are concerned about identification. That applies both to predicting what you will discover around you, like what I do when I go birding in a new location, and to self-identification as well. Knowing yourself involves knowing your place. Let's take a look at those two things in order. First, knowing the world around you.

The great disorder that plagues Western Civilization is disconnection from place. We used to be people who understood the natural world, primarily because if we didn't understand it, it would kill us. I'm sure I don't have to repeat stories about children not having any idea that milk comes from cows before it comes from the store or quote statistics about how little time children today spend outside to convince you of the problem. Surely you've seen it in your own experience. Personally, I can't get enough time in nature. I find it endlessly fascinating. You know the old expression, “a bad day birdwatching is better than a good day at work.” OK, so maybe it is more popularly associated with fishing, but you get my point. Even with my extensive knowledge and familiarity with birds, there is not a birding trip when I don't experience something new, or at least ask a question I've never asked before. Sometimes the literal wild goose chase that I'm on has that metaphorical impact as well, leading me to explore new things that I hadn't previously consider. Often that is a plant, sometimes an animal, or a sound. Frankly, I can't understand why everyone doesn't find the natural world endlessly fascinating. Now, I understand that I'm a bit of an odd duck here. Take for example, my total disinterest in gardening. For many people, their yards and gardens are the ways that they get into nature. But I have no interest in trying to bend nature to my bidding. I would much rather be surprised by Columbine, Trout Lily, and Lady's Slipper while I'm walking in the woods, than to fertilize, weed, and water just so a tulip, rose, or hydrangea will bloom right outside my door. Believe it or not, I'm also not a fan of bird feeders. To me, feeding the birds is a bit like trying to domesticate them. It certainly is an attempt to entice them to come to us. I find more pleasure in going to them, experiencing them doing whatever they choose and being themselves. But these are just tame examples of a philosophy that can be very dangerous. In fact, it is more theology than philosophy, and it has to do with the translation of a single preposition in the book of Genesis.

In the first chapter of the first book of the Bible we read that God tells humans to subdue the earth and to have dominion over the animals. With a mandate like that coupled with a belief that we are the crown of creation (seeing as we are the last beings created) and a little lower than the angels (something we told ourselves in the Psalms) there is nothing to stop us from doing what we want to creation. Sadly, that is precisely what has happened. We have indeed done as we pleased with the natural resources of the planet and when we are faced with the natural consequences of our exploitation, we have scripture and doctrine to fall back on to justify our behavior and continue on a destructive path. But what if we have been reading the story wrong all along?

We read that at the end of creating, God hands over the keys to humanity. We read that we are to subdue the earth and have dominion over its inhabitants. Or so it seems. Granted, the verb used to describe what we are to do to the land is the same as the one used to describe subjecting a conquered people to your control. And the common translation of the next verb and preposition is to have dominion over. But that pairing could also (perhaps more reasonably) be read as rule with. And even if the intent is to hear that we free rein to do as we want with all of creation, taking total control, recall that this is a story that comes from an ancient people who surely felt subjected to the land and the power of nature. Surely the whole idea of having dominion over creation was only a dream, perhaps heard as a promise from the Creator.

In our day, we have the ability to subdue and dominate, and we have tended to do so in extreme ways. We look at it as progress, but it has come at a very high cost. Not only are we finding that we are quickly running out of space and resources, but we have made disconnection from creation seem normal. We have made the natural unnatural. We have come to the conclusion that we are apart from nature, not a part of nature.

It is only after you have relearned your place in the grand scheme of creation that you can get to know your true self. As creatures, we are created to have our place in creation, not simply literally a physical place, but metaphorically we have our place, which is our sweet spot. We have that thing that makes our heart sing, that which makes us feel most fully alive. It has been said that there are two important days in your life, the day you were born and the day you discover why you were born. Our faith story suggests that that second day is the day that you are born again, or born anew from above. When you experience that day (or days, as the journey continues to unfold) you re-join the human family in a new way. As Christians, we call this way the Body of Christ.


As we read in 1Corinthians 12, this body, like all bodies is made up of many parts. No body can exist as only one part, we need each other. Remember that you are incapable of truly living, knowing your full intended life, apart from others. I would argue that those others include the whole of creation. But equally remember that those others, including the whole of creation, are counting on you. And what are they counting on you to do? They are counting on you to be you! That understanding may come in a dramatic Aha! moment, just don't forget that that moment is a door that opens up new possibilities, which surely will include more Aha! moments as you find your place in the living, breathing, always changing, always fascinating world that you were born, and born anew, into.

No comments: